Mechanicsburg PA saw its first settlers arrive in 1801. In 1837, the Cumberland Valley Railroad completed its line and linked Mechanicsburg to neighboring communities causing the area in general to grow. History has left its mark on Mechanicsburgh PA over the last 200 years. The railroad that ran through it was an invaluable tool during the Civil War, and Mechanicsburg is the site of the northernmost engagement of the war. Today, the Appalachian Trail passes through Mechanicsburg bringing visitors from around the world.
Mechanicsburg has preserved many of its historic buildings and locations so visitors and residents alike can learn about and enjoy the town's past. Be sure to stop in at these favorite Mechanicsburg historic buildings and landmarks to appreciate where this Pennsylvania city has been and learn where it's going.
One of the town's first residents built a log home and applied for a license in 1801 to operate a place where travelers could get a warm meal and a place to sleep. The building has been restored to its original appearance and many of its features are original. Believed to be the oldest building in town, the Frankeberger Tavern is located at 217 E. Main Street in Mechanicsburg PA.
Built in 1863 to accommodate the original stationmaster and his family, the Stationmaster's House is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There were several additions made to the building, and over the years it fell into general disrepair. The Mechanicsburgh Museum Association was formed in 1975 with the purpose of saving this building from destruction. The building was restored to its original construction and refurnished with antiques and period pieces and remains as an example of what homes were like in the mid to late 1800s. The Stationmaster's House is located at 4 West Strawberry Alley in Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania.
The Museum Association operates out of the Passenger Station located at 2 West Strawberry Alley. Originally built in 1866, the Passenger Station was given to the Borough of Mechanicsburgh in 1976 and was used as the town's offices until it was purchased by the Museum Association in 2005. It now houses various displays from the town's history.
Built in the late 1870s, the building was originally used to temporarily house freight. Today, the building is used by the Mechanicsburg Museum Association to showcase collections from the Cumberland Valley Railroad, the Civil War, and Native American artifacts along with operating a shop carrying heritage crafts from the area. The Freight Station is located at 3 West Allen Street in Mechanicsburgh PA.
If you would like to become part of the history of Mechanicsburg PA, contact the professionals at Prudential Homesale Services Group for more information and for help locating a home in the area.